Tuesday, September 29, 2009







Ahh! Glorious fringed genetians! Thanks to Jeff Leon of Strawberry Fields, and his efforts to preserve these threatened flowers, and to raise awareness about them, I had the opportunity to see them for the first time ever. I first visited there with an ECOS (Environmental Clearinghouse of Schenectady) class, led by the amazing naturalist, Ruth Schottman.
They are in bloom now, and it’s amazing to think that these lacy, fragile-looking flowers are sturdy enough to survive, indeed thrive, in these chilly fall temperatures. Likewise, these nodding ladies'-tresses!
Who can help me to name these lovely little seed-pods(?) I think 'box' is in the name, but I can't find them in my field guides.

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping to visit Strawberry Fields Forever next week, where Jeff said he has about a thousand Fringed Gentians growing. I believe your mystery plant is Seedbox (Ludwigia alterniafolia). Note the squated-off top of the seed capsule. Do they grow at SFF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention, you can find Fringed Gentian at Orra Phelps Nature Preserve in Wilton, a little closer to home than Amsterdam. Oops! I noticed a typo in my comment about Seedbox. It has a SQUARED-off seed capsule. It's a member of the Evening Primrose Family and has four yellow petals when in flower.

    ReplyDelete